Monday, January 14, 2013

Discovering Health and a better life


So I am on the second week of becoming a healthier me. And it has NOT been the easiest road to a better me! I have "slipped" on my no-fast-food idea one day, with sick children and husband over the weekend just made it seem easier. But I am not being hard on myself because sometimes it just happens. But I have discovered some yummy foods on this journey.
Baked Potatoes Soup, is one of the favorites of the family. It has already been added to the "Family Favorites Cookbook".

BAKED POTATO SOUP
6 medium red potatoes, cubed
1 cup diced onion
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp salt
5 cups water
4 tsp chicken bouillon granules
4 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup flour
1 cup milk
Salt and Pepper
Toppings: green onion, cheese, sour cream, bacon bits

1. Either microwave the onions until softened or saute them in a pan on the stove. Add to the slow cooker.
2. Add potatoes, garlic, bay leaf, salt, water and bouillon to slow cooker.
3. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4, or until potatoes are cooked through.
4. Prepare a roux. Melt butter over low heat in a skillet. Slowly add in the flour and whisk. After butter and flour are combined, slowly add in milk and tablespoon at a time. Continue whisking. When roux is thickened up slowly add in 1 cup hot soup (add in just the liquid part of the soup). Whisk until thickened. Stir in another cup of soup (again just the liquid) and keep whisking until thickened. Do this another 2 times. When you have a nice thick creamy sauce, add it all back into the slow cooker. Stir. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. Ladle into bowls and then add toppings, as desired.




As I go along to discover and create I am finding amazing ways to encourage my family to eat better, and healthier. I have actually found that making from scratch has brought me and my kids closer because they have enjoyed making foods with me.



Like this morning I said I am making pancakes, and my son asked "the fun way?" I asked "the fun way?"  He said "yes! With LOTS of ingredients!" AKA from scratch. And he jumped up to help and my daughter found her way to the counter too. We made a big batch of yummy pancakes, and ate a responsible amount. 





Our next journey will take us to gardening and eat what God created... To eat what God created from the ground and to enjoy the natural health from the ground!







"Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food." Genesis 1:29

No comments:

Post a Comment