Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A dog, A boy, couple changed lives

A warm sunny day, a little puppy named Gizzmo barked, wagged a tail, and sat patiently. Waited for me to notice him. I said "Hi big boy!", and he wagged his tail. I continued to do yard work. Not too long that the kids noticed this cute little boy.
"Can we pet him!?!" Excitement filled their eyes
"Hang on" I commented
Walking over reaching across the fence to test the waters
"Hey there!" The previous owner walked closer
We struck up a conversation about his puppy!
After about 10mins Gizzmo ended up over the fence and playing with my kids. The owner started to explain that they needed a home for him. They where set to move out, and can't take Gizzmo with them, plus they work so much they don't have time to be with him. The next step was the pound (oh my nurturing side was like NO this can't be the only option for him). Now we had talked about getting a dog, just not that week!
After about 5mins, Kris and Gizzmo bonded like they where long lost brothers. This kid has a BIG heart for all animals, much like his dad.
After about 2 afternoons of on and off testing him with kids, house training etc. I called the neighbor, and found out that where leaving the house in 3 days, if we didn't take him then that means he would be placed in the pound because they had no other options. I called my husband immediately, we prayed and JUMPED on the offer. A free dog, an already house trained puppy who could pass this up!
The next couple weeks have been so hard, between puppy energy, introducing him to our friends dogs, training him with manners (jumping, play biting, not dominating Lena, our youngest and smallest), sleep training him not to sleep on peoples (my husbands) face. Last night was the true highlight of owning such a sweet dog. Kris woke up around 2:45am, with nightmares. I talked him through it, got him back in bed. Came back to lay down, and Kris comes back in around 3am, with the "mom I can't sleep" talk. He just knew he would have bad dreams again. I calmly explained "prayers and trusting God would take care of those" so we started praying, as I did, Gizzmo cracks open the door, jumps in the bed, lays across Kris. As to say "I got this mom". Gizzmo laid with him all night, him and Kris at that moment created a bond of trust, and protection. Gizzmo would normally lay, sniff, and look around then leave. But this morning, he sat with him all early morning because he knew he needed him.
Kris woke up amazed that Gizzmo slept in his bed all night, and that because Gizzmo his dreams where chased away! All morning long these two have been right next to each other, these two have developed a relationship that I prayed would happen. We saved Gizzmo from a caged home, and he saved Kris from nightmares.
Two lives changed FOREVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment