Monday, January 6, 2014

The few, the proud, the way to teach

Wow! What a morning with schooling! For the past month I have been praying to God "Lord please help me teach my son! He is struggling to learn how to read and I feel like I can't win! HELP ME!". I felt like all he ever did was cry and refuse to read. I felt completely defeated because I felt like I was failing at home school.
Today we started home school after the long Christmas break, and the same thing started. The melt down! So I finally got real with this child, I looked him dead in the face and said the most meaningful words I could come up with.
"If you don't learn to read, you don't graduate. If you don't graduate you can not join the military! (his eyes got really big) You don't graduate you can't be a police officer because you can't read them their rights."
At that moment, he got real about learning to read. He read not only 15 words, he also done it without crying, whining, and in 12mins!! That is amazing, because it took one day an hour to read 3 words.

I thank God for our major break through!

Blessings
Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment