Monday, December 10, 2012

To computer or not to computer

Today we decided to do our first lesson VIA computer. Thought it might be fun, teaching Kris to use the computer (not a touch screen tablet, which has mastered pretty much). And he did great! We did a few fun things on this website my sister told me about, www.starfall.com and it was fun (we did I think all the FREE stuff we could). At one point I stepped away to make breakfast and let Kris try it without help from me.

The part that had me torn was, that I want my kid to have the basics of learning as much as possible, and not be addicted to spell check and technology. And to use paper and books, as well as find a love for writing.

 I am not obsessed with it but I have discovered that I have become dependent on technology too much. And I have taken steps to "unplug" from it (which is why its taken me awhile to post a new blog) as much as possible.

I know the world is computer, tablets, cell phones etc. And my children will learn ALL of those. But I want to give them the basics first, and branch from there. Kris thought it was pretty cool and wants to continue learning alittle here and there. And I hope we can find more and more to learn on here! But for now I think we will find a GREAT balance with a slow introduction to computers and technology, with a base of paper and books.

**If you would like to post how your family introduced your kids into computers please do below**

Blessings
Tina

1 comment:

  1. abcmouse.com. For $7 a month you get access to learning curriculum and printable activity sheets, etc. from age 2-5. A whole year's worth for every year from 2-5. Music, reading, math, 123's ABC's all of it...and the child sees it as a fun game. Within 30 minutes of using this, Joey said "acrobat" and "astronaut" the month he turned 2! Great resource for parents. There are even virtual stickers to keep track of the daily lessons. We love it!

    ReplyDelete