Monday, July 9, 2012

Are you Martha or Mary?

"When God’s people are in need, be ready to help them. Always be eager to practice hospitality."
~Romans 12:13
Hospitality, what does that mean to you? Does it mean to plan when you will host, or decide when your house is suitable to host someone over? If you looked in a Dictionary it says:
Webster Dictionary:
Hospitality: is the relationship between guest and host, or the act or practice of being hospitable. 
Hospitable: Disposed to treat guests with warmth and generosity. 

No where in the dictionary gives conditions or limits, and they Bible says when HIS people are in need, BE READY TO HELP! I have struggled with the "but my house is not in the condition to receive guest" and the "but i have no food to offer". But sometimes all they need is a friendly smile, hug or even just an ear.
And we did a bible study at church, and I could only got to the first lesson and it spoke to me. That it doesn't matter what our houses look like, or if we have food. As long as you open your arms God will take care of the mess. We also talked about Mary and Martha and how Martha worried about all the little things, and forgot about her guest of honor.
"As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”  Martha, Martha, the Lord answered, you are worried and upset about many things,  but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10: 38-42
 And it has allowed me to kinda let go of the "Martha" and be more "Mary" to those who are in need. I want to be able to enjoy the fellowship that comes a long with hospitality! I hope you are able to do so, and experience the "Mary" things in life :)

"For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them" Matthew 18:20
Blessings,
Tina


No comments:

Post a Comment