Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Raising a girl in an immodest world

Oh if we could keep them young forever! It would be picture perfect... as I prepare my mind and heart to raise a sweet little girl, my mind races to the "when she gets older". And I see the clothes and swim suits little girls wear, and I almost go into panic mode. I just dont see why they need to be like adults? Ever since my sisters sweet little twin girls where born, I took the role as second mother to them. I couldn't help but find myself saying "she will NEVER wear that out in public as long as Aunt TATA is alive" and my all time favorite saying "We are a lady!".
Now that I am a mother of a little girl, I really find myself lost in this idea of what children, and little girls wear. I was recently caught in a small debate with a mother who said, she lost the battle with her 6yr old who wanted to bikini for the summer. I thought to myself, you lost a battle to a 6yr old? Then she simple but it "They are only little once, so you pick your battles". Yes but what you don't see is that you are telling her that it is ok to 1) display herself among men/boys inappropriately 2) if I scream I WANT IT shes going to get it.
But how do we raise little girls in such an immodest world?  In a world, where flashing our "Victoria Secrets" makes you a millionaire, and un-lady like behavior makes you front news and makes you a reality TV star, how do we teach them its wrong? How do we tell them its ok to stand out as the odd one? W-O-R-D of G-O-D, I know its my answer to everything!

1 Timothy 2:9 - "And I want women to be modest in their appearance. They should wear decent and appropriate clothing and not draw attention to themselves by the way they fix their hair or by wearing gold or pearls or expensive clothes." (NLT)
Everyday I strongly display to my daughter the importance of modest, correct dress and behavior! You will catch me say "Act like a lady" "Be a lady" "we are ladies!", and yes shes only a year old, but she understands this already. She will stop and pull her dress down if I say it. And I LOVE IT!  And I pray that one day her husband will see her as the Proverbs 31 wife and mother. See her as "worth far more than rubies"!
1 Peter 3:3-4 - "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." (NIV)
I will encourage you to guide your little princesses in this world, and make them see they are precious diamond that needs to cared for and loved for who they are not what they are! And teach that they don't have to of this world just in it as an example of God! I will pray for all of you out there ready to raise your children in this crazy world.
Blessings
Tina

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful, Tina! What an amazing witness you are.. Xo

    ReplyDelete